~~Since 1894 the city of West has been served by West Hose Company No. 1, an all volunteer fire department. The first equipment consisted of a large water tank mounted on a horse drawn wagon. Early newspaper accounts point with great pride to the performance of the fire department. By 1900 the city had acquired a “modern” Seagraves Horse Carriage equipped with four extinguishers, four ladders and 1000 fee of hose. At that time the city was equipped with 20 fire hydrants.
Today the West Fire Department consists of 30 volunteers, 2 fire engines, a 3500 gallon tanker truck, a rescue truck and a brush truck. The West Fire Department utilizes the current 911 system and has a response area which includes a large portion surrounding the city of West. The Department utilizes its equipment and manpower to maximize its resources to provide safety and protection for persons, property and to contain damage.